Since Mikrodust started we have worked with different radio technologies such as Sub-1 GHz, proprietary protocols, Z-Wave® och DECT ULE etc. Low power radio communication is our core competence. Early we felt the need to streamline wireless product development and hence we started to develop radio modules.
Today we offer two types of radio modules, an 868/915 MHz module for ISM applications, and a DECT ULE module for smart home applications that reuse existing DECT infrastructure in the home. You can read more about our radio modules below.
The advantage of a radio module compared to a customized discrete design is obvious; the integration is a lot simpler and the module is already radio certified. All in all your project will save both time and money. Contact us if you want to know more about our radio modules.
MD-G20C112, Sub-1 GHz Module
MD-G20C112 is a low power, open, pre-approved Sub-1 GHz radio module optimized for the frequency bands 868/915 MHz. It is offered in different configurations such as with/without RTC crystal (a crystal is required by time synchronized applications), wideband or narrowband radio, with/without operating system etc.
The open module concept enables the customer to deploy application software in the same MCU that controls the radio, with retained radio approval since the operating system separates the application from the kernel that controls the radio. It saves cost since an extra MCU can be avoided.
- Low power wireless systems with channel spacing down to 6.25 KHz
- 868 / 915 MHz ISM bands
- Wireless alarm and security systems
- Energy, gas, water and smart metering
- Home and industrial automation
- Health and home care applications
- Secure radio-oriented operating system that enables the concept of open and pre-approved radio modules where the customer application can be deployed in the same MCU that controls the radio without affecting the radio regulatory compliance
- Suitable for compliance with: Europe ETSI EN 300 220, EN 54-25, US FCC CFR47 Part 15 and Japan ARIB STD-T96
- Texas Instruments High Performance Low Power CC112X RF Transceivers
- Silicon Labs EFM32 Gecko Energy Friendly MCUs, up to 128 KB Flash and 16 KB RAM.
- Small SMD footprint: 12.4 x 24.4 mm
- Available on Tape & Reel for simplified SMD mounting
- Software Development Kit (SDK)
The secure radio operating system enables the concept of open and pre-approved radio modules where the application software can safely be deployed in the MCU that controls the radio without affecting the approval.
The operating system kernel manages all resources necessary for radio operation and isolates them from the application to guarantee correct radio behavior; memory protection is used by the operating system to separate kernel space from user space where the application resides. The figure below shows the principle.
The operating system provides the following API categories to the application:
- Clock and Power Management API
- File API
- GPIO API
- Misc API
- Peripheral API
- Radio API
- Reset API
- Watchdog API
- Thread API
- Timer API
- UART API.
The figure below shows the architecture.
MD-DHX91, DECT ULE Module
MD-DHX91 is a cost optimized low power DECT ULE module. DECT ULE (Ultra Low Energy) is an extension of the DECT standard that opens the technology for low power smart home applications. Traditionally DECT is used for voice and video applications, where cordless telephony is the most common application. The advantage of DECT ULE is that existing infrastructure can be used, only a base station firmware upgrade is required, and that DECT uses dedicated frequency bands with high output power that gives interference free communication with good coverage.
- Low power wireless systems on dedicated frequency bands in existing infrastructure
- Home automation
- Alarm and security systems
- Health and home care applications
- Energy metering and control
- Very good range: 70 m indoor, 600 m outdoor.
- Interference free radio communication on world wide dedicated frequency band. WiFi, Bluetooth or other ISM radio don't interfere.
- Low latency.
- Security and authentication.
- Long battery life time - up to 10 years.
- Serial interface towards the applikation MCU.